Skip to main content

Chris Scarborough's Notebook

Chris Scarborough's notebook came into my possession via my mother, Elsie [Needham] Burton (1921-2011). Based on what she has written in the notebook (see below), it was given to her by her cousin, Harriet Emily Scarborough (1899- ), Chris Scarborough's daughter. I have subsequently passed the notebook on to Chris' great granddaughter, Pamela Watson, as it is a document that should be with Chris' direct descendants. Pamela has indicated her intention to pass the notebook on to her brother for his grandson. In discussion with her brother, it has been decided that it should eventually go to his grandson who is both a direct descendant of Chris Scarborough and a descendant who bears the Scarborough name.

About Christopher

Christopher Scarborough (1870-1948) was born on 6 August 1870[1] at Long Clawson in Leicestershire. His birth was registered in Melton Mowbray[2]. Census records show that Christopher grew up in Long Clawson[3][4] and, by the age of 21, he was living in Melton Mowbray[5]. It was in Melton Mowbray that, at the age of 22, Chris married Marian Amelia Needham (1872 - 1956) They married in 1892[6]. Marian is the sister of my Mother's father (my Grandad), Henry Morris Needham (29 Dec 1887 - 1960) and so my mother's uncle and my grand-uncle. These relationships are illustrated below.

In the 1901 Census[7], Chris is shown as living at 24 Melbourne Street, Melton Mowbray, next door to his parents-in-law, William Needham (Abt 1849 - 1936) and Lydia [Morris] Needham (1851 - 1921) who were living at number 26. By 1911[8], Chris and Marian had moved to 28 Salisbury Avenue, Melton Mowbray. Chris died in Melton Mowbray in 1948[9]

Chris worked as a General Labourer (1891 Census[10]), Timber Yardsman (1901 Census[11]), Joiner's Labourer (1911 Census[12]) and Carpenter's Machinist (1939 Register[13]). He was also a Methodist Lay Preacher. It appears that it was in that capacity that he kept the notebook.

About the Notebook

Chris Scarborough's Notebook - Front, Back & Spine
The front and back covers of the notebook are identical and the notebook is written in from both ends. There are a lot of blank pages in the notebook and, also, evidence of pages having been torn out. 

Apart from, the explanatory information written by my Mother about how she got the notebook and how she connects to Chris at the beginning of one end, it isn't clear who made the other entries. A lot of what is written is undated so I originally assumed it was written down by Chris himself. However, the dates 1867, 1869 and 1888 appear in the notebook. The earliest two dates are before Chris was born, and, in 1888, Chris was only 18 years old. The entries 'feel' like they were written by an older person. This raises questions such as: 
Who was the original owner of the notebook? How did it come to be in Chris' possession?

Chris Scarborough's Notebook - Inside Cover
The notebook contains mainly religious verses and hymns; some of which, I suspect, were composed by the notebook writer? The writer seems to be particularly pre-occupied with death, going to heaven and how married women should behave. However, there are also other items such as a recipe for ginger beer. The recipe contains 'Spirits of Wine' but with the instruction that 'you can make it without the Spirits of Wine'; Perhaps, a little out of keeping with the rest of the notebook especially if it was written by a Methodist lay preacher. 

The notebook is repetitive in parts with some of what is written at one end of the notebook written at the other end as well.

What follows is a transcription of the written-on pages of the notebook from each end.

Transcription

End 1 - Page 1

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 1

'This book belonged to Uncle Chris Scarborough - cousin Emily's father. He was a lay preacher. Emily (née Needham) gave me this book.

Dates in book 1869 + (see other end) ...'


This is my mother's handwriting. I have assumed this to mean Emily (née Scarborough) because Chris' daughter would have been a Scarborough not a Needham.

She goes on to say:

' ... Uncle Chris married my father's sister Miriam, (oldest sister I think). Miriam, Florence, Annie, Mabel, Emma, Alfred, Bill, Walter, Harry (Dad) ...'

Here Mum has referred to Chris' wife as Miriam. Most records show her as Marian, although I have also seen her name written as Marianne and Marion. This, therefore, appears to be an error in memory on Mum's part.

' ... Lydia, Dad's other sister, died young. Named after Grandma Needham, as was I'

I have been unable to find a sister called Lydia in the records. Mabel's middle name was Lydia but she lived into her 80's. The Grandma Needham referred to is Lydia [Morris] Needham (1851 - 1921).

Below is a diagram of the family relationships mentioned:

Extract from family tree via https://weare.xyz/

Also on the page shown above, is what appears to be a recipe for a herbal medicine:

'Balmony or salt rheum weed Pite Burder [?] Penny royal Five Leaved Grass (Cinquefoil) Culpepper Fig [?] 79 Chickweed pre[?] 77 Culpepper Eye Wright'

End 1 - Page 2

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 2

'No Sorrow There

Come sing to me of Heaven When I'm about to die Sing songs of holy ecstasy To waft my soul on high

Chorus There'll be no more sorrow there, There'll be no more sorrow there, In heaven above, where all is love There'll be no more sorrow there

-------------------------------------
When cold and sluggish drops Roll off my marble brow Break forth in songs of joyfullness Let Heaven begin below

Chorus There'll be no more etc.
------------------------------------

When the last moments come, O, watch my dying face, To catch the bright seraphic glow Which in each feature plays

Chorus There'll be no more etc.

End 1 - Page 3

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 3

Then to my enraptured ear Let one sweet song be given Let music charm me last on earth And greet me first in Heaven

Chorus - There'll be no more etc.
------------------------------------
Then close my sightless eyes, And lay me down to rest, And clasp my cold and icy hands Upon my lifeless breast

Chorus There'll be no more etc.
-----------------------------------
When round my senseless clay
[?] Assemble those I love Then sing of heaven delightful Heaven My glorious home above There'll be no more sorrow there,

There'll be no more sorrow there, In heaven above, where all is love There'll be no more sorrow there.'
------------------------------------

'The Gospel Echo

True faith producing love to God and man, Say echo is not this the Gospel plan. Echo the Gospel plan.

When men combine to hate and treat me ill must I return them good and love them still. Echo Love them still
------------------------------------
If they my failings causeless reveal must I their faults as carefully conceal. Echo carefully conceal
-----------------------------------
But if my name and character they lear And cruel malice too too plain appear And when I sorrow and affliction know They love to add unto my cup of woe Say echo say, in each peculiar case Must continue still to love and bless ...

End 1 - Page 4

... Echo Still to love and bless

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 4

Why, echo how is this thou'st sure a dove Thy voice will leave me nothing else but love Echo nothing else but love

Amen with all my heart then so be it And now to practice I'll directly go Echo directly go

This path be mine, and let who will regret My gracious God will surely protect me Echo surely me protect

Henceforth on Him I'll cast my every care And friends or foes embrace them all in prayer Echo embrace them all in prayer'

'Hymn

Ready to Die

With a sorrow for sin let repentance begin Then conversation of course will draw nigh But until washed in the blood of a crucified Lord We shall never be ready to die

That we may succeed let us haste with all speed To a Saviour who will not deny Let us tell in brief that of sinners we're chief But we long to be ready to die

We've his word and his oath and his blood seals them both And we're sure the Almighty can't lie If we do not delay but believe watch and pray He will soon make us ready to die

Then our race we have run and the victory's won We to mansions of glory shall fly, There eternally praise the blest Ancient of days For his love made us ready to die'.

End 1 - Page 5

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 5

'Hymn

O Trust not my soul to the visions of sense Nor let its gay dreams hold thy powers in suspense Earths hopes are delucive, its pleasures are dross Thy hopes rest secure on the blood of the cross

Chorus 
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Amen Amen, Hallelujah, Hallelijah, Amen

If riches entice thee, or pleasures decoy Beware of their false fascination of joy Adieu, vain enchantments O count them but dross; Thy hopes rest secure on the blood of the cross

Hallelujah etc.

My saviour to thee I my spirit commend, And implore thee to pilot its course to the end 
That when at thy bidding I yield up my breath The blood of the cross may refresh me in death

Hallelujah etc.

And when the Archangel's last trumpet shall sound, And wake all the nations that sleep in the ground; When the earth and the heavens are melting away, I sing of the blood of the cross on that day

Hallelujah etc.

And when with the ransomed, by Jesus, my head, - turn over ...

End 1 - Page 6

... From fountain to fountain of bliss I am led, I'll fall at his feet and his mercy adore, And sing of the blood of the cross evermore,

Hallelujah etc. Hallelujah'

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 6

'A beautiful land by faith I see, A land from rest of sorrow free; The home of the ransomed, bright and fair, And beautiful angels too are there

Chorus - Will you go, will you go Go to that beautiful land with me. Will you go, will you go, Go to that beautiful land


That beautiful land, the City of Light, ne'er has known the shades of night The glory of God, the light of day Hath driven the darkness far away

Chorus - Will you go etc.

In vision I see its streets of gold, Its beautiful gates I too behold, The river of life, the crystal sea, The ambrosial fruit of life's fair tree

Chorus, Will you go etc ...

End 1 - Page 7

... The heavenly throng arrayed in white In captive range the plains of light And in one harmonious choir they praise Their glorious Saviour's matchless grace.

Chorus - Will you go etc.'

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 7

'Lines

Addressed to a young lady on her marriage.

Let not my
[?], now a wife Bid all her cares adieu; Comforts there are in married life But there are trials too.

I do not wish to damp your mirth With an ungrateful sound But yet, remember bliss on earth no mortal ever found


The rite which now has your hand joined Cannot ensure content Religion forms the strongest bond And Love the best cement.

A friendship founded on esteem Life's stormy blast endures'

End 1 - Page 8 

Christopher Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 8

'The Comforter

Sweetly the Comforter cheers my career When I am in heaviness then he is near 
Weeping and sighing to Zion I come Comforter, Comforter lead me safe home.

Hark tis the Comforter calling my name Conscious of guilt I am covered with Shame 
Wearied in search of thee hither I am come Comforter, Comforter lead me safe home'.

End 1 - Page 9

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 9

'The Marriage Vow

Speak it not lightly, tis a Holy thing A bond enduring through long distant years When joy o'er thine abode is hovering, Or when thy eye is wet with bitterest tears 
Recorded by an Angel's pen on high And must be questioned in Eternity.

Speak it not lightly! though the young and gay Are thronging round the now with tones of mirth Let not the holy promise of to day Fade like the Clouds that with the morn have birth But ever bright and sacred may it be Stored in the treasure cell of memory.

Life will not prove all sunshine here will come Dark hours for all, Oh! will ye when the night Of sorrows gather thickly round your home Love as you did in times when ...

End 1 - Page 10

... calm and bright'

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 10

'Seem'd the sure path ye had untouched by care And deem'd the future like the present fair. Eyes that now beam with health may yet grow dim And cheeks of rose forget their early Glow

Langour and pain assail each native limb And lay perchance some worshipp'd beauty low Then will ye gaze upon the altered brow And love as fondly, faithfully as now.

Should fortune frown on your defenceless head Should storms o'ertake your back on life's dark sea [?] tempests rend the sail so gaily spread When hope her syren strain sang joyously

Will ye look up, though clouds your sky o'ercast And say together we will bide the blast Age with its silvery looks comes stealing on And brings the lollering step, the furrowed cheek

The eye from whence each lustrous gleam had gone And the pale lips with accents low and weak, Will ye then think upon your lifes gay prime And smiling best Love triumph over time.


Speak it not lightly! Oh! beware beware This no vain promise no ...

End 1 - Page 11

... unmeaning word'

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 11

Lo! men and angels lisp the faith ye swear And by the High and Holy One tis heard Oh! then kneel humbly altar [?] And pray for strength to keep your marriage vow'


'Last Sabbath Services conducted by the Rev. J.G. Smith in the Primitive Methodist Chapel Melton whilst labouring among us as Superintendent June 30th /67' [1867]

-------|-------

'Morning

Opening Hymn 453 
Lesson 1st Corinthians Chapter 15
Hymn 463
Text 1st Corinthians and 15th Chapter 58 verse Therefore, my Beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord
Last Hymn 460'

End 1 - Page 12

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 12

'Evening
Opening Hymn 204
Second Hymn 205
Text St Matthew 16th Chapter 26th verse. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Last Hymn 207'

End 1 - Page 13

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 1, Page 13

'Renouncing the World

1

Come my fond fluttering heart Come struggle to be free, Thou and the world must part However hard it be: My trembling spirit ones it just
[?] But cleaves yet closer to the dust[?]

2

Ye tempted sweets forbear, Ye dearest idols fall; [?] love ye must not share, Jesus shall have it all: Tis bitter pain; tis cruel smart[?] But are[?] thou must consent my heart[?].

3

Ye fair enchanting throng, Ye golden dreams, farewell! Earth has prevailed too long, And now I break the spell: Ye cherished joys of early years Jesus forgive these parting tears.

4

But must I part with all! My heart fondly pleads; Yes - Dagon's[?] self must fall, It beats, it throbs, it bleeds: Is there no balm in Gilead found, To sooth & heal the smarting wound.

5

O eyes, there is a balm, A kind physician there, My fevered mind to calm To bid me not despair: Aid me, dear Saviour, set me free, And I will all resign to thee.

6

O may I feel thy worth, And let no idol dare, No vanity of earth With thee my Lord compare Now bid all wordly joys depart And reign supremely in my heart

Jane Taylor'

End 2 - Page 1

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 1

'For making Aerated Ginger Beer 

Add to 5 gallons of water
4lb loaf
[?] sugar
8oz carbonate soda
1/4 Pint Spirits Wine
1/4 oz Essence Ginger
30 Drops of Essence Lemon
A small bit of Salt Petre

The size of a
[?] put them altogether in Cold water for 2 hours that time is to clear it then Bottle it, add to each Bottle the 9th part of 1oz Crystal Acid This is fit for use directly the acid is dissolved you can make it without the Spirits of Wine and if in case you want it in a few minutes Bottle it as you want it

much'

End 2 - Page 2

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 2

'Addressed to a Young Lady on Her Marriage

Let not my
[?] now a wife Bid all her cares adieu Comforts there are in married life But there are trials too

I do not wish to damp your mirth, With an ungrateful sound But yet, remember Bliss on earth no mortal ever found

The rite which now has joined you hands Cannot ensure content Religion forms the strongest bonds And Love the Best cement.

End 2, Page 3

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 3

A friendship founded on esteem Life stormy blast endures It will not vanish like a dream And such I trust is yours

And though you have the sheltering wings Of home with all its care Yet tis But seldom wedlock brings Much lighter yokes to bear

Men have their humanities[?] and their faults So mutable are they Excuse his foibles in thy thought And this without display No anger or resentment keep [?] may be [?].

Be reconciled before your sleep And seal it with a kiss Tis not the way to schold at large Whate'er proud reason boast And they their duties best discharge who condescend the most.

Mutual attemps to sooth and please Each other will endear So you may draw your yokes with ease Nor discord ever fear Thus give your kindred passion scope Yet better things pursue Be heaven the objects of your hope Let life not bound your view.

Since you must both resign your breath and God alone knows when So like that you may part at death With joy, to meet again'

End 2 - Page 4

Christopher Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 4

'Life is Good

------  ||  ------

Life is good for God did give it Good to all who rightly live it Sweet affections land its beauty Stirring conflicts make it ghastly Faith triumphant makes it [?] Learning on Our Father's [?]

Life is hidden in a chamber Never opened to a stranger

Tossing lifts a troubled
[?] Faith [?] though dark the [?]

Life is conflict earnest and stern Much to conquer more to learn But above there is a helper

Heavenly lights forbid to falter Angels shout each victory won. Life is holy all things holy Conflict o'er and victory won

Life is swift the year go by A story told and then one day Life is glory all things holy Conflicts oer and Victory won

Clad in white and crowned with [?] Angels songs proclaim tis done'.

----- ----- ------

'The Child's desire

I long to go to heaven My Saviours dwelling place And live for ever near to God And see him face to face

Chorus There are no tears in heaven No pain no sorrow there For Jesus by his presence blest Makes all things bright and fair ...

End 2 - Page 5

... And in that home in heaven Are many whom I love I long to see them all again And live with them above   repeat chorus

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 5

I long to go to heaven But I must stay below Until I hear my Saviour's call To tell me I must go

repeat chorus
Feb 15 /69' [1869]

'The Soldiers Pardon

Wild blew the winds in Gibralter one night; As a soldier lay stretched in his cell; Anon anon! said the darkness The moon's silvery light [?] On his countenance [?] [?] [?] [?] could she reveal but a man true as steel That off for his country had been And the glance of his [?] Might they grim [?] defy, For despair, fear and trembling had [?]

But in [?] he had struck a merited blow At a tyrant who held him in scorn And his faith was to be sealed for alas honest Joe ...

End 2 - Page 6

Was to die on the following [?] Oh sad was the thoughts to a'

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 6

'Lost luck found

I was a wondering sheep, I did not love the fold I did not love the shepherd's voice, I would not be controlled I was a wayward child I did not love my home I did not love my father's voice but lov'd afar to roam

The shepherd sought his sheep, the father sought his child They follow'd me o'er vale & hill, o'er desert, waste & wild They found me nigh to death famish'd faint alone They bound me with the bonds of love, they saved the wandering one.

They spoke in tender love they rais'd my drooping head, ...

End 2 - Page 7

... They gently closed my bleeding wound my fainting soul they fed They wash'd my filth away, they made me clean & fair They brought me to my home in peace, the long sought wanderer.

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 7

Jesus my shepherd it was he that lov'd my soul, Twas he that wash'd me in his blood, twas he that made me whole; Twas he that found the lost, that found the wand'ring sheep, Twas he that brought me to the fold, tis he that still doth keep.

I was a wandering sheep I would not be controll'd, But now I love the shepherd's voice I love I love the fold. I was a wand'ring child, I once preferr'd to roam, But now I love my father's voice, I love I love his home.'

'Precious Promises

How firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord, Is laid for your father in his excellent word, What more can he say than to you he has said You who unto Jesus for refuge have fled

In every condition, in sickness, in health, In poverty's vale, or abounding in wealth At home & abroad, on the land, on the sea As thy days may demand shall thy strength ever be Fear not I am with thee, O be not dismay'd ...

End 2 - Page 8

... I! I! am the God & will still give thee aid I'll strengthen thee, I'll keep thee & cause thee to stand Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 8

Thro' the deep waters, I call thee to go The rivers of woe shall not thee overflow, For I will be with thee thy troubles to bless And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

When thro' fiery trials thy pathway shall be My grace all sufficient shall be thy supply The flame shall not hurt thee, I only design Thy dross to consume, & they gold to refine.

E'en down to old age all my people shall prove My sovereign Eternal unchangeable love, And when hoary hairs shall they temple adorn Like lambs they will still in my bosom be borne.

The soul that on Jesus hath lean'd for repose I will not, I will not, I will not, desert to his foes That soul tho' all hell shall endeavour to shake I'll never, no never, no never forsake.'

End 2 - Page 9

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 9

'The Starless Crown

Wearied and worn with earthly cares, I yielded to repose, And soon before my raptur'd sight, a glorious vision rose, I thought while slumbering on my couch in midnight solemn gloom, I heard an Angel's silvery voice And radiance filled my room.

A gentle touch awaken'd me, a gentle whisper said, Arise O sleeper, follow me, & through the air we fled, We left the earth so far away, that like a speck it seem'd, And heaven, my glory calm & pure, across our pathway stream'd.

Still on we went my soul was wrapt in silent ecstasy, I wondered what the end would be, what next would meet mine eye, I knew not how we journeyed through the pathless fields of light, When suddenly a change was wrought & I was clothed in white.

We stood before a City's walls, most glorious to behold, We pass'd through gates of glistening pearl; o'er streets of purest gold, It needed not the sun by day, the silver moon by night, The glory of the Lord was there, the lamb himself its light.

Bright angel's paced the shining streets, sweet music fill'd the air And white robed saints with glittering crowns, from every climb were there, And some that I had lov'd below stood with them round the throne ...

End 2 - Page 10

... All worthy is the lamb they sang, the glory his alone.

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 10

But fairer far than all beside I saw my saviour's face, And as I gazed he smiled on me with wondrous love & grace, Lowly I bow'd before his throne o'erjoyed that I at last Had gained the object of my hopes that earth at length had past.

And then in solemn tones he said, where is they diadem That ought to sparkle on they brow, adorn'd with many a gem; I know thou hast believ'd on me, & life through me is thine But where are all those radiant stars, that in thy crown should shine.

Yonder thou seest a glorious throne & stars on every brow; For every soul they led to me they wear a jewel now, And such thy bright reward had been if such had been they deed, If thou had sought some wand'ring feet, in path of peace to lead.

I did not mean that thou should'st tread the way of life alone But that the clear & shining light which round the footsteps shone, Should guide some other weary feet to my bright home of rest, And thus, in blessing those around thou hadst thyself been blest.

The vision faded from my sight, the voice no longer spoke, A spell seem'd brooding o'er my soul which long I fear'd to break, And when at last I gazed around in morning's glimmering light My spirit fell o'erwhelm'd beneath that vision's awful might ...

End 2 - Page 11

... I rose & wept with chasten'd joy that yet I dwell below, That yet another hour was mine, my faith by works to show That yet some sinner I might tell of Jesus dying love, And help to lead some weary soul to seek a home above.

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 11

And now, while on the earth I stay, my motto this shall be, To live no longer to myself, but him who died for me, And gra[?] on my inmost soul this word of truth Divine They, that turn many to the Lord bright as the stars shall shine'.

End 2 - Page 12

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 12

'Chris[t] is all

I entered once a house of care Age and poverty were there Yet joy and peace without I asked that lonely mother when She found her widowhood's defence; She told me, Christ was all

Chorus

Christ is all yes all in all Oh Christ is all in all.

I stood beside a dying bed; There lay a saint with a kind heart Waiting the Masters call; I watched his face t'was
[?] as May And here [h]is spirit passed away He whispered, Christ is all

I saw a martyr at the stake Flames could not his courage shake Nor death
[h]is soul appal [?]; I asked him whence his strength was given He looked triumphantly to heaven And shouted, Christ is all!"

I saw Salvation heralds go to India's sands and Greenland snow, To free from Satan's thralls, No home or friend they counted dear No want or peril caused them fear They felt that Christ is all"

I dreamt that
[?] time had fled, Earth and sea gave up their dead And fire from Heaven did fall I saw the Army's ransomed throng I heard the music of their song Twas, Christ is all in all'.

End 2 - Page 13

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 13

'Two Ways of Reading the Bible

I never look at the marginal references, said Kate. 

I find them such a help in comparing scripture with Scripture, observed Lilian. 

Kate was silent for several seconds. She had been careful daily to read a large portion from the Bible; but to mark, learn, and inwardly digest it she had never thought. 

She now asked her cousin, What is the word which is put in the margin instead of 'another' in that text, A stranger, replied Lilian! and then clasping her thin, wasted hands, she repeated the whole passage on which her soul had been feeding with silent delight,

Whom I shall see for myself and mine eyes shall behold, and not a stranger, Oh, Kate, if you only knew what sweetness I have found in that verse all the morning. I shall soon cross the river, but He will be with me, and not a stranger

He is the Good Shepard and I know his voice, a stranger would I not follow And when I open my eyes in another world, it is the Lord Jesus whom I shall behold my own Saviour my own
[?] friend, and not a stranger, I shall see Him whom not haveing seen I have loved.

Lilian has drawn more comfort and profit from ...

End 2 - Page 14

... one verse , nay from three words, in the Bible, than I have drawn from the whole book, reflected Kate.

I have but read the Scriptures, she has searched them, I have been like one floating carelessly over the surface of waters under which lie pearls; Lilian has dived deep, and made the treasures her own

March 19 1888

Chris Scarborough's Notebook End 2, Page 14

Romans c9 verse 36

For of him and through him, and to him, are all things; To whom be glory for ever. Amen

Notes

[1] The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1939 Register; Reference: Rg 101/6049j via Ancestry.com. 1939 England and Wales Register [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2018: 
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/36636692:61596?ssrc=pt&tid=120092877&pid=252024083346

[2] Birth Registration Q3, 1870 Volume: 7a Page: 256 - General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office via FreeBMD. England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.

[3] The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1871 England Census; Class: RG10; Piece: 3296; Folio: 67; Page: 19; GSU roll: 839339 via Ancestry.com. 1871 England Census [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004:
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/15682977:7619?ssrc=pt&tid=120092877&pid=252024083346

[4] The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1881 England Census; ; Class: RG11; Piece: 3184; Folio: 64; Page: 10; GSU roll: 1341760 via Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1881 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004:
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/7572/images/LEIRG11_3184_3187-0130?pId=12455180

[5] The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1891; Class: RG12; Piece: 2544; Folio: 84; Page: 22; GSU roll: 6097654 via Ancestry.com. 1891 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005:
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/21571769:6598?ssrc=pt&tid=120092877&pid=252024083346

[6] Marriage registered in Melton Mowbray Q2 1892 Volume: 7a Page: 656 - General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office via FreeBMD. England & Wales, Civil Registration Marriage Index, 1837-1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.

[7] The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1901; Class: RG13; Piece: 3011; Folio: 126; Page: 26 via Ancestry.com. 1901 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005:
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/7814/images/LEIRG13_3010_3012-0559?pId=17628471

[8] The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1911 via Ancestry.com. 1911 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011:

[9] Registered Q1 1948 at Melton Mowbray General Register Office; United Kingdom; Volume: 3a; Page: 787 via Ancestry.com. England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc., 2007.

[10] The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1891; Class: RG12; Piece: 2544; Folio: 84; Page: 22; GSU roll: 6097654 via Ancestry.com. 1891 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005:
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/21571769:6598?ssrc=pt&tid=120092877&pid=252024083346

[11] The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1901; Class: RG13; Piece: 3011; Folio: 126; Page: 26 via Ancestry.com. 1901 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2005:
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/7814/images/LEIRG13_3010_3012-0559?pId=17628471

[12] The National Archives of the UK (TNA); Kew, Surrey, England; Census Returns of England and Wales, 1911 via Ancestry.com. 1911 England Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011:
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_19350_0345_03?ssrc=pt&treeid=120092877&personid=252024083346&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&pId=25579682

[13] Chris is shown on the 1939 Register as a retired Carpenter's Machinist - The National Archives; Kew, London, England; 1939 Register; Reference: Rg 101/6049j Enumeration District: Rfjf via Ancestry.com. 1939 England and Wales Register [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2018:

Comments